Speaking in Colour is a 100% Aboriginal owned business founded in 2010 by Cherie Johnson with the mission to make a difference in the delivery of Aboriginal education by providing training that is fun, affordable and in the spirit of reconciliation.
Today, Speaking in Colour is the leading provider of training, cultural experience and educational resources in the Newcastle and Hunter region of NSW. We are a collective of like-minded educators working in several roles within the education sector.
With the mission to make a difference in the delivery of Aboriginal education, we provide training that is fun, affordable and in the spirit of reconciliation.
- NESA endorsed training for educators
- Develop localised cultural resources for educators
- Cultural experiences for kids, teens and adults
- Professional development and support to corporate and government sectors including:
- Cultural capacity training
- Cultural team building
- Wellness sessions
- Staff onboarding
- RAP development
- Consultancy and much more.
All workshops and session presenters are Aboriginal and are able to provide authentic personal stories within the training environment, giving you a unique, original and rich cultural experience.
We believe that through education and inclusion we can create a future where all Australians can thrive. We can bridge the gap by fostering positive relationships between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people in Australia.
Our mission statement
We educate, equip and encourage businesses and educators to understand and embrace Aboriginal culture.
- Acting with integrity in all things
- Supporting lifelong learning for all
- Respecting cultural diversity
- Sharing stories to keep culture strong
- Empowering young people through education and the arts.